Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Prayer Meeting

Last night I attended a prayer meeting without moving from my chair. It was a live remote broadcast from Gospel for Asia headquarters in Texas. There was singing, a message and about 5 presentations on different areas of specific prayer requests. I noticed a diverse mix of people; male and female, children and teens, seniors and 30 somethings.

I did not know exactly what to expect going into the broadcast. I did expect prayer, a message and singing. What I did not expect were the presentations. Ah the presentations. That is where everything changed.

A teenager shared about her mission trip to the streets of a metro area in India. She told of a small street boy, about age 5, who followed her group from place to place. As the presentation continued the young lady became increasingly tearful and had to stop at times to compose herself. She had a picture of the boy and shared it with the audience. What I saw was a beautiful little lad with jet black hair and haunting eyes. Closing her presentation she said she would never forget that little boy and would forever wonder what would become of him. I fear for this little one.

Another presenter was a 20 something young woman. She was modestly dressed with a lace head cover. This presenter shared details regarding dowry killings in India. Apparently there are in-laws and/or groom becomes dissatisfied with the amount of the dowry paid by the bride's family. If the demands for the extra money and/or other compensations are not met the bride's new family may express their displeasure in a horrible way. The new bride is led into the kitchen, doused with kerosene and a lit match is flicked toward her. She burns to death as her new groom watches. The police are told it was a cooking accident. Whew. I could hardly breathe as I listened to the tearful words from such a young person. She went on to tell the story of a poor widow whose 4 daughters committed suicide together rather than burden their mother with the problem of 4 dowries. Wow. I tried to put myself into that world but I could not. In my most horrid dream I could not imagine this scenario. The presentation wound up by telling the audience that yes there are laws against this practice of dowry killings. I still could not get my brain around the stories I had heard.

After the prayer meeting I had the feeling that I had been to another world, another age, another time. The unfortunate thing was that I had not. These things were happening. These things are happening. Horrid things, sad things. Our world is a fallen one, ruled by the devil himself. There are beautiful things too but they can be outweighed by stories like this. I did not feel helpless however. I felt at peace, a peace only my connection with God through prayer could bring. Do you believe in God? Is Jesus your Lord and Savior? If not, and you would like more info and my personal testimony, you can email me at donnakorzun@yahoo.com. I would love to talk with you and answer any questions you may have. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment