Total Pageviews

Monday, February 21, 2011

Stressful times

This is a particularly stressful time for me. Ignore my husband's crazy job as a college band director, my worries as a mom and the financial issues of being disabled. To increase my pain and fatigue is my mother's health.

Mom has been declining for awhile. Her heart is slowly giving out. She is losing weight and needs oxygen 24 hours a day. She is not eating very well. Mom now lives with my sister who is an RN. I am facing the fact that I will soon be losing my mom, my biggest cheerleader and my role model. It hurts in more ways than one. The pain in my heart is accompanied by pain in my body and increasing fatigue.

How do you deal with this impending loss? I have a few suggestions that are working for me:

1. Make sure I take my daily vitamin supplement, watch my diet and get adequate sleep.

2. Try and do some form of exercise daily even if it is only a few chair moves or a couple of bicep curls.

3. Read from my Bible daily. Nothing calms like God's inspired Word.

4. Spend time with my mom. I have asked so many questions about relatives, her life and my deceased father's life. Things I have always wanted to know.

5. Take my sister out to lunch to give her some down time and a chance to talk.

6. Don't forget to take time to spend with my husband.

7. Turn off the tv and sit in silence. Let the emotions wash over me and give them the forefront.

8. Try and keep the basics of the house in order. Cook simple meals. Don't let the laundry get too deep.

9. Eat chocolate.

10. Listen to my IPOD.

In addition, make sure my prescriptions are filled and any other items I regularly use are available in case of a flare.

This is my personal list I am sharing with you. This list may and probably will not work for your personal situation and stress. During times of stress we need to try and keep some normalcy and also some time to honestly deal with the grieving that has already started.

The reality is I am soon going to lose mom. It hurts, it stinks and it is normal. I am going to embrace the moments as they come. That works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment